Playing Tennis During Covid-19 Lockdown
PLAY SAFE GUIDELINES - RETURN TO RESTRICTED PLAY
UPDATED 10 JULY 2020: updates are highlighted in yellow
The following guidelines are in place in order to enable our members to access the tennis courts in a safe environment and for everyone to enjoy the health benefits of playing the sport. The guidelines are based on advice and guidance from the Government, LTA & Tennis Scotland. Please note that rules can change at short notice as and when required.
The courts are now open to both members and non-members in a strictly limited capacity as described below.
Who Can Play
- People who are shielding can now undertake outdoor exercise activities.
- People who are symptomatic should self-isolate for 7 days and household members for 14 days as per NHS guidance.
- No one who is self-isolating should attend an outdoor sports facility/activity
Publicly available periods: Mon - Fri 9am - 4pm, Sat 9am - 1pm
- During these periods, courts must be booked before play - this applies to members as well as non-members. There is no booking fee.
- Booking should be done online through the Aberdeenshire Council website livelifeaberdeenshire.simplybook.it/v2/#book
- When booked by a non-member, a person from Council staff will unlock the court before the time of play and lock it again when play is finished. Club members can use their own court key to unlock and lock the courts.
Member only periods: Mon - Fri before 9am and after 4pm, Sat before 9am and after 1pm, Sun all day
- Only club members may play on the courts during these periods,
- Currently, we do not have a booking system, so members are asked to behave responsibly and adhere to the social-distancing guidelines set out below.
- If it becomes necessary, we may introduce a booking system in the future so, if you have difficulty finding free time on the courts, please do let us know.
Guidelines for Players
- Both singles and doubles play is permitted. Players from different households may now form a doubles pair. Social distancing must still be observed.
- Children under 14 years must be supervised by a parent or designated adult. Children over 14 years may play without an adult or parent present, though this is at parent discretion.
- Parents MUST ensure that their children are aware of and adhere to the guidelines explained below
EQUIPMENT & FACILITIES
- Take all your own equipment (do not share equipment such as rackets, grips, hats and towels)
- You can share tennis balls with other players but take care not touch your face during play
- Only take the minimum amount of equipment with you that you need to play
- Take hand sanitizer with you
- Clean and wipe down your equipment, including racquets and water bottles before and after use
- Bring a full water bottle, and do not share food or drink with others
- Ensure you take all your belongings with you at the end of the session and do not leave anything on court
- The clubhouse and toilet facilities will remain closed.
- Floodlights are not available.
MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING
- Stay at least two metres away from other players at all times (including during play, when taking breaks and before and after play)
- The only exception to this is for children aged 17 years and younger, who are no longer required to physically distance during activity. Children aged 11 and under do not need to physically distance at any time, but 12-17 year olds must physically distance both before and after activity.
- Do not make physical contact with other players (such as shaking hands, high fives or elbow bumps)
- Stay on your side of court and avoid changing ends, or agree to change ends at opposite sides of the net
- Avoid chasing the ball down to another court if other players are using it
- Where possible, avoid touching surfaces such as the fence, gates, nets, netpost, etc
- Please put any racket bags or sports bags on the wall in between the courts and not at the net post. Ensure bags are a minimum of 2 metres apart, so that safe social distancing can be maintained.
- You should still try to avoid using your hands to pick up tennis balls - use your racquet or foot to hit/kick them to your opponent or return them to another court.
- Entering and exiting the courts must be in keeping with tennis court etiquette and respectful of social distancing for all players
- If you have booked a court, please arrive promptly to start your game and leave 5 minutes before the end of your booked slot.
- If you are playing at a time when the courts are not bookable and other members turn up hoping to play, let them know how soon you will be finished, so that they can return to play later.
- Do not stay at the courts to socialise before or after playing.
All players are asked to practice good hygiene as the best preventative measures to avoid contracting COVID-19.
- Please wash your hands before and after playing tennis.
- Whilst on court, use alcohol-based hand sanitiser to cleanse you hands at regular intervals.
- If you need to sneeze or cough, do so into a tissue or upper sleeve (not your hand) and bin the tissue when you get home.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Avoid physical contact with others.
- This is stage 2 of the opening process and rules can change at short notice.
- We will continue to review and make adjustments where necessary.
- These processes are new to our club and your committee are committed to offering the best & safest possible environment for members to return.
- Please respect the decisions and rules created and note that members of your committee can be contacted if you have any concerns or would like to report a breach of these rules.
Further guidance can be found on the LTA website.
to home page
Bourtree Park, Portlethen